The following information was largely obtained from an interview with John Albert Madison [9] in 1961 and Minnie Madison [82] in 1984.


Peter was born October 27, 1862. Peter took his Mother’s name, Larson. His Father had disappeared in the war of 1864.

As a teenager, Peter had become involved in an apprenticeship. He wasn’t happy with the arrangement and ran away and hid until he could get a ship to the United States. The ship sailed from Svendborg, Denmark. It made stops in Hamburg, Germany, Le Havre, France, England, Sweden, Norway and Ireland picking up Emigrants from each stop. It landed in New York August 9, 1882. Apparently, Peter changed his name to Mads Peter Madsen at that time.

Peter made his way to Kane, PA and walked from there to Sheffield, PA where he got a job in a tannery. Over the next several years, he traveled to Buffalo, NY to Chester County and worked on a farm one summer. He also got work building the railroad in Tynesta Valley.

Rasmine Rasmussen [75] was born May 21, 1863. Rasmina had one full sister, Anna [84], who was Mother to our Danish cousins, Margrethe and Marie. Rasmina’s Mother [83] married a second time to a Hansen and had three more children, John [87], Nels [86], and Hansena [85]. All but Anna came to the US at a later date. Grandma Hansen [83] died in 1912 at age 78 yrs.

Peter and Rasmine had known each other in Denmark. He sent for her and sent a wedding ring to seal his good intentions. She embarked by herself from Svendborg, Denmark on the ship, Tingvala, a converted cattle boat steamship, February 14, 1886. After a very rough trip, it landed in New York, March 6th. She brought material for bedding, Linsy Woolsy, with her. Six days later, March 12, 1886, they were married in Warren, PA.

1886 Rasmine had a miscarriage.

1887 Martin [76] was born May 30. At the time they lived on Shanty Street in Sheffield.

1888 They moved to Corry and lived with Bent Neilson.

1889 George [77] was born June 15. They were living on Wright Street in Corry.

1891 Howard [78] was born May 20. They were living on Smith Street at the time. The three children got Diphtheria. Later, they moved to Main Street and lost twins.

1894 John [9] was born November 15 at the Christiansen place.

1897 Louis [59] was born August 3 also at the Christiansen place.

1899 Clarence [80] was born April 4 at the Christiansen place.

1901 David [454] was born in July, he lived only 8 months and is buried in Corry.

1904 Annie [81] was born May 21.

1907 Minnie [82] was born April 26. They were living at 70 East Main Street, Corry.

In 1915, Peter purchased a farm on Piccadilly Hill (Corry, PA). This was a proud moment as he would never have been able to become a land owner in Denmark.

The family moved to Piccadilly Hill on May 3rd, 1915. It rained and Annie and Min rode with their Father on a wagon load of furniture pulled by two old horses, Dick and Colonel. They were so slow, perhaps because of the heavy load. We had dinner with the Neilsens [Piccadilly Hill neighbors] that first night. At the time, Min was 8 and Annie almost 11.

Peter Madsen worked at the “Howards Tannery” down toward Spring Creek near the house where John Hansen [87] lived. John also worked at the Tannery. Later, John’s daughter, Edith Powers [369], lived and raised her family there. The house was in the Family for years.

On May 3, 1928, Peter had a stroke and died May 10. He was buried at Pine Grove Cemetery on May 13.

Peter knew Hans Christian Anderson stories by heart. He was good in History, Geography, and Math.

In January 1935, John Albert took Rasmine with him to Oregon. Rasmine died in Tillamook, Oregon July 2, 1953 at age 90. She was taken back to Corry to be buried with Peter.

Rasmine was a good seamstress, sewed coats for the children from old coats. She made many crazy quilts even when her eyesight failed. She made multigrain bread when white bread was the norm and whole grain bread was considered foreign.

The following are memories of Ethel Madison[8] and Virginia Madison[2].

The farm was doing well at the time of Peter’s death. However, he left no will and money was still owed on the farm. The bank ended up taking all the farm animals. With the start of the depression, the family was in a desperate situation.

Hearing there was work to be found in Oregon, Louis [59] made the trip (alone). This was the start of a migration of part of the family to Oregon. He sent back a good report.

In December 1930, John [9], Ethel [8], Virginia [2], and Vera [60] drove to Oregon. Initially they stayed for a few weeks at the Nigren Farm where Louis was working. Early in 1931, they moved to the house of a Mr. Cook who was a widower. Ethel did the cooking and took care of the house. John obtained [apparently part time] work taking care of roadside cabins.

Ethel was extremely unhappy in Oregon and her Father, Archie [11], sent money so she could return. In August 1931, John, Ethel, Virginia, Louis, and Vera left Oregon to return to Pennsylvania.

On the way, in Nebraska, they had an accident which tore off the canvas top and injured John’s hand. A severe rainstorm in Ohio soaked them all.

Back in Pennsylvania, John, Ethel, and Virginia stayed with Archie on the farm. John was unable to do farm work because of his hand injury but not much help was needed anyway. Ethel found employment helping families with newborns. She earned $5 a week and was away from home for lengthy periods.

In January 1935, John decided to return to Oregon and took Rasmina with him. Ethel remained in Pennsylvania and they were divorced later that year. John returned for a short time to see if Virginia would live with him but she remained with her Mother.

At some time, Louis [59] and Vera [60] returned to Oregon. Later, Carle Finch [88], Minnie [82], and their daughter, Nancy [89], also moved to Oregon.